Spiritual practice for God-realisation prescribed in each era has been different. Chanting is the best spiritual practice prescribed for Kaliyug (Era of strife) by saints. In order to increase bhaktibhav (Spiritual emotion of devotion) and to gain maximum benefit of the Deity’s Principle, it is essential to pronounce Deity’s Name in correct manner.
Chanting should be done with bhav
Only when one chants Deity’s Name with bhav, it reaches the Deity. Focusing on the meaning of words in Deity’s Name while chanting helps in developing bhav towards the Deity.
Chant of Deity Datta
Listen to the ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’ chant given below.
Benefits of chanting Deity Datta’s Name
Chanting of Deity Datta’s Name generates Shakti (Divine Energy) which creates a protective sheath around the devotee.
1. To prevent problems or to overcome a mild problem, chant ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’ daily for one to two hours. At other times, to prevent problems arising out of destiny and for spiritual progress, an average individual or seeker in the primary stage should chant the Name of his Kuladevata (Family Deity) as much as is possible.
2. If the problem is moderate in nature, chant ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’ along with the Name of your Kuladevata for two to four hours daily. Also, go to a Datta temple every Thursday and perform seven pradakshina (Circumambulations), and chant one to two japmalas of ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’ in the temple. Do this for about a year. After this, chant three malas of ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’ every day.
3. If the problem is severe in nature, chant ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’ for at least four to six hours daily. Perform rites like Tripinḍi Shraddha where Jyotirlingas (Powerful Divine lingas (Sacred symbols of Deity Shiva) situated at 12 places in Bharat) are situated. Along with these, perform spiritual practice at a seat of worship of Deity Datta or serve a Saint to receive His blessings.
4. By chanting the Name of Deity Datta in Pitru-paksha (The dark fortnight of the Hindu lunar month of Bhadrapad), the onward sojourn of the ancestors is faster. Hence, during this period, chant for at least six hours (or seventy-two malas) daily.
5. Chant to overcome negative energy distress.