Spiritual practice for God-realisation prescribed in each era has been different. Chanting is the best spiritual practice prescribed for Kaliyug (Era of strife) by saints. In order to increase bhaktibhav (Spiritual emotion of devotion) and to gain maximum benefit of the Deity’s Principle, it is essential to pronounce Deity’s Name in correct manner.
1. Saviour and Destroyer form of chants
Chanting the Name of God is the simplest form of spiritual practice in Kaliyug. Deities have ‘saviour’ and ‘destroyer’ forms. In its saviour form Deity gives blessings to its devotee and in destroyer form Deity annihilates the daemons. With this we understand that the chant associated with saviour form of Deity is the chant of saviour form and that associated with destroyer form of Deity is the chant of destroyer form.
2. Importance of saviour form of chant of Deities
One gets spiritual experience of Chaitanya (Divine consciousness), Anand (Bliss), Shanti (Peace) when chanting the Name of saviour form of Deity, as well one develops sattvik spiritual emotion towards the Deity. Chanting the Name of saviour form of Deity is essential for getting protection from distress caused by negative energy.
3. Chanting should be done with bhav
Only when one chants Deity’s Name with bhav, it reaches the Deity. Focusing on the meaning of words in Deity’s Name while chanting helps in developing bhav towards the Deity.
4. Importance of destroyer form of chant of Deities
By chanting the Name associated with destroyer form, one can absorb the Divine Energy and Chaitanya emitted from the Deity. Chanting the Name of destroyer form of Deity is essential to repel the subtle negative energies.
5. Importance of chanting either saviour
or destroyer form of chant based on one’s persona
One derives maximum benefit from the Deity’s Principle by chanting either saviour or destroyer form of chant based on one’s persona.
Try to chant both saviour and destroyer form of chant for some time as given above and choose to the chant the form in which one’s mind gets engaged. If someone is not habitual in doing chanting or performing spiritual practice, that person should chant both saviour and destroyer form of chant for some time and continue with the chant which one likes.
Similarly, one’s speed of chanting is also dependent on one’s persona. If you wish to chant quickly, you can do so. However, only increase or decrease the speed not the style. There is a principle in Spirituality – There are as many paths of spiritual practice as there are number of people. Hence chant with the speed that evokes maximum spiritual emotion (Bhav), as it is conducive to your persona.
6. Importance of saviour and destroyer form of chant as per era
Any act which is performed as per the era, derives maximum benefit. Aspect of ‘As per the current era, which type of chant derives maximum saviour or destroyer Principle of the Deity’ has been researched based on spiritual science and the audio recordings of those chants have been done. Several experiments have been performed in this regard, under the guidance of Paratpar Guru Dr. Jayant Athavale. Chants of the Name of the Deities have been formulated based on these experiments. If chanting is done in this manner, then it will help in deriving saviour or destroyer Principle of Deity as per one’s spiritual emotion and as needed in current era.
Mindset of 90% of the people in the society, who chant, is to chant with bhav. Even for the benefit of remaining 10% people, for whom the destroyer form of chant is useful, the audio recording has been made available so that they are not left out.
One should spread the information on these chants amongst their family members, relatives, and friends so that they too derive the benefits from these chants.
– Miss. Tejal Patrikar, Sangeet Visharad, Convener of Music, Maharshi Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalay, Sanatan Ashram, Ramnathi, Goa.