1. Introduction to casting off the
evil-eye – Nazar Utarna (evil-eye protection)
From times immemorial, some customs and traditions have been a part of Hindu culture. Of these traditions, one is casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna ).
External subtle negative attacks on the person cause distress to him. To overcome this distress, one spiritual remedy that has been devised to operate externally is casting off the evil-eye (Nazar Utarna ). Upon implementing this remedy, the Raja–Tama-predominant covering on the gross-body, mental-body and the subtle-body of the person is eliminated and the quality of his life can improve.
Absorbing the distressing vibrations or black energy from an individual’s Pranamaya–kosha (Vital energy sheath) or the Manomaya–kosha (Mental sheath) into the various substances used for evil-eye protection, and subsequently burning these substances or immersing them in flowing water, and thereby destroying this black energy is termed as casting off the evil-eye.
2. Benefits of casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna )
A. Casting off the evil-eye empowers and activates manaha-shakti within
the body, as a result, the tasks performed by the person are free of obstacles
Casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna ) removes from time to time the Raja–Tama-predominant covering on the body of the person. This empowers and activates the manaha-shakti. As a result, it gives him evil-eye protection and the tasks of the person become free from obstacles.
B. Casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna )
reveals the severity of the evil-eye or the karani
Qualities of a substance vary according to its basic nature. Any substance that is afflicted by negative vibrations displays traits opposite to its inherent nature. The substances which are used in casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna ), due to the effect of negative vibrations, display specific traits; for example, when salt and mustard seeds used for casting off evil-eye are burnt a peculiar odour is emitted, one gets a bout of dry cough when the chillies used for casting off the evil-eye are burnt.
From these symptoms, the intensity of affliction by evil-eye can be judged. The intensity of affliction by evil-eye reveals the severity of the distress. With this knowledge, the frequency of casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna ) can be increased, so also, more potent substances can be used. To reduce the distress faster along with casting off the evil-eye, other remedies such as spiritual practice of chanting the Name of God, serving Saints, etc. can be undertaken.
3. Having bhav (Spiritual emotion) is important
in the process of casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna )
Bhav (Spiritual emotion) carries immense importance in Spirituality. Since casting off the evil-eye is a remedial measure at the spiritual level, having bhav even while casting off the evil-eye is of utmost importance.
A. What bhav should the individual whose evil-eye is being cast off have?
The bhav that the individual should have is – ‘The individual who is casting off the evil-eye is my benevolent Deity. The Deity is drawing the black energy covering around my body as well as all the black energy in my body into the substance being used to cast off the evil-eye, and is generating a protective sheath of Chaitanya (Divine consciousness) around me’.
B. What bhav should the individual who
is casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna ) have?
The bhav that the individual who is performing the act of casting off the evil-eye should have is – ‘It is not me but the Deity in my place who is casting off the evil-eye and thereby, drawing the black energy covering around the body of the individual as well as the black energy within his body into the substance used for the purpose of casting off the evil-eye’.
C. Benefits when both the individuals
have bhav during the process of casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna )
1.Casting off the evil-eye ( Nazar Utarna ) is completed in lesser time.
2.Both the individuals are blessed by the Deity and a protective sheath develops around them.
3.The period for which the protective sheath is retained depends upon the intensity of bhav in both the individuals.
4. Methods which are used to remove Evil-eye effect
A. When the individual whose evil-eye is to be cast off is physically present
1. Ask the afflicted individual to sit on a wooden seat.
The afflicted individual, whose evil-eye is being cast off, should hold his palms facing upwards (skywards) while sitting.
2. Before casting off the evil-eye, pray in the following ways.
- Prayer to be made by the afflicted individual to the Deity of worship
‘Let the distressing vibrations within and outside my body get drawn into the substances used for casting off the evil-eye and let them be destroyed completely.’
2. Prayer to be made by the individual who is casting off the evil-eye
‘Let the distressing vibrations within and outside the body of the afflicted individual get drawn into the substances used for casting off the evil-eye and let them be destroyed completely. While casting off the evil-eye, let the protective sheath of your grace be generated and be retained around me.’
3. Position to be taken and the position of hands of the individual who sits on the wooden seat for casting off the evil-eye
4. Acts to be performed by the individual who is casting off the evil-eye
- Substances such as salt-mustard seeds, salt-mustard seeds- red chillies, lemon, coconut, etc. are used remove evil-eye effect. Hold the substances in both the hands in front of the afflicted individual.
- Uttering these words, ‘May the evil-eye cast upon by guests, passers-by, wild animals, birds, cattle-domestic animals, ghosts, mantriks (Subtle sorcerers) and any form of energy in the universe be cast off’, wave the substances used for casting off the evil-eye three times in a clockwise direction around the individual. (The method of waving a substance in a clockwise direction around the individual varies with the substance.)
- While moving the fists holding the substance in a clockwise direction around the afflicted individual, touch them to the ground every time. By doing so the distressing vibrations are first imbibed by the substance and then they are dissipated into the ground.
- If the distress is more, wave the substance in a clockwise direction more than three times. Mostly, the mantriks perform karani in odd numbers such as 3, 5, 7 or 9 etc; hence, as far as possible wave the substances in odd numbers.
- At times, the distress does not reduce even after casting off the evil-eye 2-3 times. This happens when the distress has been caused by higher level negative energies. In such cases, after waving substances in a clockwise direction in front of the individual, follow it up by waving it from the rear side of the individual. For common ghosts, waving the substances in a clockwise direction from front suffices. However, higher level negative energies create their centres in the rear portion of the body. Hence, casting off the evil-eye should be done from both, front and rear of the individual.
- After casting off the evil-eye, while carrying the used substances for disposal, do not look back.
- After casting off the evil-eye, both the individuals, the one who is afflicted and the one who casts off the evil-eye should avoid talking to anyone for the next 15-20 minutes and perform the required acts accompanied by chanting.
- Destroy the distressing energy that has been drawn into the substances used for casting off the evil-eye varies as per the substance; for example, chillies and lemon are to be burnt, coconut is to broken in Deity Maruti’s temple or immersed in flowing water.
- Both, the afflicted individual and the performer should wash their hands and feet, sprinkle gomutra or water mixed with Vibhuti (Holy ash) on their body, contemplate on the Deity or Guru and express gratitude unto their Holy feet, apply Vibhuti and then continue with their activities.
- If the distress is severe, cast off the evil-eye consecutively 3-4 times, or after every hour or 3-4 times a day.
B. When the afflicted individual is physically not present
At times if an individual cannot be present at the venue due to sickness or due to being in a foreign country, then the method to be followed for casting off the evil-eye is as provided ahead. The basic process remains the same. Some additional specific objects and some changes required are provided ahead.
1. Casting off the evil-eye by placing the picture of the afflicted individual
1)Pray with bhav to the Deity of worship that, ‘Let the benevolent vibrations generated in the process of casting off the evil-eye reach the individual in the picture.’
2) Focus on concentrating the mind on the process of casting of the evil-eye.
3) When compared with performing the act when the individual is physically present, perform the act of casting off the evil-eye more number of times on the picture.
Place the middle finger on Adnya-chakra (Brow chakra) of the individual in the picture and then touch a coconut with that finger. Immerse this coconut in flowing water. To remove evil-eye in this manner the minimum spiritual level of the individual performing the act should be 60%.
Note – Every individual has triguṇas, that is, the three basic components of the human body – Sattva, Raja and Tama. When an individual performs spiritual practice, the Raja-Tamacomponents in him reduce and the Sattva component starts increasing. The spiritual level is dependent on the Sattva component. The more the Sattva component, the more is the spiritual level. The spiritual level of an average individual is 20% and that of one who has attained Moksha (Final Liberation) is 100%, that is, he is beyond all the triguṇas.
This method is adopted by individuals who perform spiritual practice by path of tantra–mantra (People who appease the negative energies as part of their spiritual practice). The middle finger is kept on the Adnya-chakra of the individual in the picture and specific mantrasare recited. This finger is then touched to the coconut. This coconut is then offered as oblation in havan (Fire-sacrifice performed to appease Deities) associated with the specific tantrikritual.
2. Writing the name of the afflicted individual on a paper and casting off the evil-eye on the paper
When even the picture of the individual is not available for casting off the evil-eye, implement this method. To remove evil-eye in this manner the minimum spiritual level of the individual performing the act should be 50%.
3. Casting off the evil-eye by pronouncing the name of the individual
For the purpose of casting off the evil-eye when even paper for writing the name of the afflicted individual is not available, this method is used. To remove evil-eye in this manner the minimum spiritual level of the individual performing the act should be 55%.