Sages, Deities and Chhand (rhythm) of the Gayatri mantra
गायत्र्या विश्वामित्र ऋषिः सविता देवता गायत्रीच्छन्द:
Meaning : The seer of Gayatri mantra is Sage Vishwamitra, Deity is Savita (Sun Deity),and rhythm is Gayatri.
ॐ भूः ॐ भुवः ॐ स्वः ॐ महः ॐ जनः ॐ तपः ॐ सत्यम् ।
ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः । ॐ तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि । धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् ।
ॐ आपो ज्योती रसोऽमृतं ब्रह्मभूर्भुवस्वरोम् ।
Meaning : Thinking of the seven regions (saptalokas) through the Omkar we meditate upon the radiance of the brilliant Bhagwan Savita (Sun Deity). May that radiance illumine our intellect benevolently. The Absolute Water Principle (Aptattva) is of the nature of light (energy), taste, nectar, Brahma (God Principle), nether region (bhuvalok), heaven (swargalok) and Omkar.
As Om is uttered ten times in this Gayatri mantra it is called ‘Dashapranav Gayatri mantra’ dasha meaning ten. This mantra can be used to decrease negative energy distress.
Information on the Gayatri mantra
1. Mantras are like arrows. Only if the pronunciation and rhythm are appropriate then the objective of chanting it is fulfilled. If chanted wrongly the inappropriate vibrations arising from it can cause distress to the chanter hence the above Gayatri mantra should be chanted under the guidance of the Guru only by those on whom the thread ceremony has been performed. This mantra is more effective if chanted in the morning after a bath.
2. If this mantra has been advised to one by his Guru as worship, then due to the resolve (sankalp) of the Guru that individual is not distressed by the energy generated from that mantra.
3. When chanting the mantra, diet and conduct norms have to be followed. Only then are the appropriate effects of that mantra observed. If not followed then the energy of the mantra is utilized to overcome the defects arising from not observing diet and conduct norms. Consequently, results of chanting the mantra are not as expected.
When not to chant the Gayatri mantra ?
1. The Gayatri mantra should not be chanted after sunset.
2. The mantra should not be chanted during seclusion due to a birth (soyar) or death (sutak) in the family.
3. Women should not chant the Gayatri mantra as the Absolute Fire Principle (Tejtattva) from it can cause distress to them.
Benefits of chanting the Gayatri mantra
This Gayatri mantra brings about spiritual healing in those with negative energy distress. The feeling of grossness induced by a distressing covering around the self decreases and lightness is perceived.