Debate on ‘ABP Majha; news
channel in the programme ‘Majha Hastakshep’
For the past 15 years the Pune Municipal Corporation has been creating artificial tanks for immersion of Ganesh idols. A report in the Pune mirror stated that within 2 days these idols and the water in the tank is released into the river. In this way the administration is misguiding devotees. In reality the idols are crushed using tractors, trampled upon, broken and dumped to fill open mines. That the administration is unconcerned about hurting religious sentiments of devotees is obvious through these acts is what Hindu Janajagruti Samiti founder for Maharashtra and Chattisgarh Mr. Sunil Ghanwat said during the programme ‘Majha Hastakshep’ on ABP Majha during a debate organised for Ganesh Chaturthi. The other participants were producer of Hindu lunar calendars and scholar in astronomy D.K. Soman, Samajik Samarasata Maharashtra Convener, Ramesh Pandav and Spokesperson for Sanatan Sanstha Mrs. Nayana Bhagat. The debate was compered by Namrata Wagle of ABP.
Mr. Ghanwat added …
1. When pollution is not occurring through immersion of Ganesh idols you are being advised to use eco-friendly Ganesh idols to prevent pollution, to use ammonium bicarbonate for immersion. In reality tremendous water pollution has been occurring all year through with release of sewage into water bodies but no action is being taken against that.
2. Andha Shraddha Nirmulan Samiti has started this campaign by provoking the Government to promote paper mache idols when the fact according to the National Green Tribunal is that paper mache idols cause most water pollution. So they will have to answer about how they are misguiding society by giving wrong information and how they are going to replenish the loss caused to the environment.
Sanatan Sanstha educates society by teaching
religious Scriptures – Mrs. Nayana Bhagat, Sanatan Sanstha
Mrs. Nayna Bhagat
Mrs. Nayana Bhagat of Sanatan Sanstha educates on how to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi ideally, how to worship Shri Ganesh and immerse the idol as per Scriptures. The Ganesh idol should be made of piped clay, not of plater of paris. An idol worshipped with all rituals should be immersed in flowing water is what we recommend as per Scriptures.
The obstinance of Namrata Wagle in
trying to defame Sanatan Sanastha without
understanding the objectives of its campaigns
1. This year too the Sanatan Sanstha has not stopped its campaign that Ganesh idols should be immersed in flowing water instead of in artificially created ponds. Why is the Sanatan Sanstha bent upon stopping immersion which is eco-friendly ? This debate has been organised to discuss this issue.
2. Social organisations, the Government etc appeal that people should immerse idols in artificially created tanks and the Sanatan Sanstha has organised a press conference to contradict exactly this so has it taken full responsibility for Dharma ?
3. If Dharma is not adjusted in keeping with the time then it will trap man. Dharma has been written by man for mankind. So it has to be changed appropriately according to the time period, otherwise celebration of Ganesh Chaturthi will not remain an event of celebration.
Should we immerse the idol in a river which is polluted with sewage was the question Namrata Wagle was asking repeatedly. Though Mrs. Nayana Bhagat was attempting to tell how pollution of the rivers has occurred Namrata Wagle was not in a frame of mind to listen to her.
Producer of Hindu lunar calendars and scholar in
astronomy D. K. Soman speaks without any knowledge on the Scriptures
Scriptures advising immersion in flowing water are now outdated !
1. No Scripture or Holy text has advised immersion of idols in flowing water and if a Holy text has recommended it then at that time the number of idols immersed was less.
2. Today rivers are polluted so idols should not be immersed in them. One cannot get flowing water everywhere. We are not immersing Deity Ganesh, we are immersing the idol devoid of its Divinity. So it should be immersed in artificially created ponds,
3. Religious festivals are meant to protect nature not to destroy it. If we do not pay timely attention to environmental protection then the next generation will not forgive us.
4. We should ensure that the idol is not denigrated. After immersion of idols in the sea the next day all idols in broken state are washed onto the shore. We should not celebrate festivals by creating pollution. The immersion of the idols should be done appropriately.
5. Even if the river water is clean then do not immerse idols in it as Holy texts advising it are now outdated.
6. Pollution created from immersion of idols in the river can pose a threat to marine life as well.
Ramesh Pandav who is ignorant that following Dharma as prescribed
in Scriptures and not in modern science, is necessary to sustain Dharma
Dharma will survive if insistence Is on modern science – Ramesh Pandav, Maharashtra Convener of Samajik Samarasata
1. Several villages are drought affected. In areas where there is water shortage where will idols of Shri Ganesh be immersed ? The concept of flowing water does not hold good here.
2. In European countries when there is no access to the sea where will the idol be immersed in flowing water ?
3. The Scriptures should guide average people in Dharma. Religious festivals should not be destroyed in this way. The insistence should be adjusted according to influence of time,and scientific advancement. Dharma will survive if that is done
The points on denigration of idols of Ganapati done after worship as told by Mr. Sunil Ghanwat are appropriate. The Government need to take cognisance of this.